Saturday 15 November 2014

Day 71...

THURSDAY 13.11.14 - I am thankful for... Memories of past loved ones


*Picture from http://keksblubb.deviantart.com/art/Some-memories-never-fade-277780639

An elderly gentleman came to clinic, accompanied by his daughter, for a pacemaker check today. His daughter mentioned early on that they were from Mackay in Queensland but were in Sydney as the patient could no longer live by himself and was moving in with his son and his family. We had a lovely chat about his life over the years, how he used to drink and smoke but gave it all up for a healthier life many years ago. He told us he has had heart surgery in the past and that he had the Meals on Wheels program come to him every day for the last several years and how great it was. As we were talking, I couldn't help but be reminded of my Pop, my great grandfather on my father's side. He too lived in Mackay and lived on his own when his wife, my great grandmother died not long after I was born. He too had the Meals on Wheels program come to his place with meals everyday. One of my great memories of my Pop was he'd always save his orange juice cups he received with his meals, put them in the freezer, and every time my sister and I came to visit we'd have frozen orange cups. Unfortunately, he too had heart disease and died of a heart attack when I was 10. Though I was young, I only have really positive and special memories of my Pop, a World War II veteran and great man. It also got the thinking and remembering about my other great grandfather (my grandmothers father) and my Uncle John, who passed away a few years ago from heart disease and was like a second father to my sister and I. I am thankful I have wonderful memories of those important people who are no longer around. It also reminds you to treasure those who are, because you just never know when it might be the last time you see or hear from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment