Wednesday 5 November 2014

Day 63...

WEDNESDAY 5.11.14 - I am thankful for... Paramedics


*Picture from sandgoanna.com.au

In case you weren't aware, today was 'Thank a Paramedic' Day! I honestly wished I had found out sooner because I see several a day, as I work in a hospital, and it would have been nice to tell one how much they are appreciated face to face. They are the unsung heroes of emergency medicine. First on the scene, on the front line, dealing with traumatic situations and sometimes even putting themselves in danger. They are even confronted with abuse from the very same people they are trying to help, usually due to drug and alcohol consumption by these patients. I myself have had a few personal experiences with being the patient paramedics have a attended too, and I can't speak more highly of them. One such instance was the first time I lost consciousness due to my heart condition. The two paramedics that came were named Nicole (my name) and Scott (my father's name). And if that wasn't coincidence enough, Scott and I had the same birthday! Weird! But besides that they were lovely and calm and extremely diligent. Because of this I considered a career as a paramedic myself, even going through several stages of the employment process but alas, it wasn't meant to be. So thank you to all the paramedics out there. You are a special people and you do a fantastic job without much credit. And if you are considering a career as one and have a heart for helping people, though I can't speak from experience I can imagine it would be terribly rewarding and encourage you to go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment