Wednesday 28 January 2015

Day 145...

MONDAY 26.1.15 - I am thankful for... Australia, my home country


*Picture from www.6minutes.com.au

I am incredibly blessed to be born and raised in Australia. There is so much I love about it, the landscape, the beaches, the mountains and bush, the holiday spots, the relaxed vibe, the weather, the food, the multiculturalism. I could go on and on and on. We definitely deserve the nickname 'The Lucky Country', because we truly have a great lifestyle here. Is it perfect? No. Are there better places to live? Maybe. There is no perfect place with the perfect economy, perfect government, perfect employment rate, perfect medical care etc... However, if you really look at it, we as a country are a lot better off than many MANY places around the world. I can only speak for me of course, and wouldn't dare talk for other people especially those in different, more difficult circumstances than me. As far as I know, we have free primary and secondary education available, with the government assisting with tertiary education. We have health care available to everyone, regardless of whether you have private health insurance or not, though you may not be able to get what you need straight away, if you need urgent, life saving medical attention you will most probably get it. And best of all, in my opinion are the people. How many times have we seen terrible disasters happen here, usually affecting hundreds to thousands of people, and the people of this country really pull together to help those in need financially, physically and through support? In my short lifetime I have seen this many times. You may not agree with me for whatever reason, and that's your choice but I chose to see the value and beauty of this country. Though today is Australia Day, I am also aware that this day may not mean the same for us as it doe for everyone, particularly the indigenous Australians who still battle for recognition, and in my opinion we probably don't learn about Aboriginal history in primary school as we could. Just my thoughts. So instead I chose to be thankful for Australia itself. I am thankful for this country of ours, for its people and it's history, and hope to learn more about the Aboriginal history in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment