Monday 26 January 2015

Day 142...

FRIDAY 23.1.15 - I am thankful for... My health


*Picture from brisbanesde.eq.edu.au

Throughout most of my life I have had many struggles with health issues. Probably more than a lot of people my age, but thankfully all have been curable or manageable. In my line of work I am reminded of how blessed I am with my health in it's present state, both physically and mentally, as I see patients who aren't as fortunate as I am. We had a patient come in for her second electrophysiology study today, for the first one had been a success on the day of procedure, but her arrhythmia or abnormal heart rhythm unfortunately came back. This particular abnormality in the conduction in her heart can be tricky to find and get rid of, every person and case is different. Alas today the procedure was not a success, meaning the patient will need to come back again and we will try again. It is the nature of this type of work. If the abnormal conduction or rhythm can be found and we can get rid of it, it is cured. If we can't find it or get rid of it, it's usually because it is a more difficult case and may take several procedures to be successful. Though what this patient has may not necessarily be deadly, if the patient's heart goes fast without need to it can be very uncomfortable for them, with physical and/or psychological side effecs. We as the electrophysiology team (particularly the doctors) never like a case to be unsuccessful, obviously, that's why we do what we do! I do hope this patients next procedure is successful. I really do, as I do with all the patients that come into our lab. So today I am thankful my health is good at the moment. It is not perfect but I am able to lead a normal life with minimal discomfort and maximal ability. I pray for those who aren't as fortunate as I because I have been there and can completely empathise.

No comments:

Post a Comment