Tuesday 13 January 2015

Day 125...

TUESDAY 6/1/15 - I am thankful for... My Job


*Picture from olimex.wordpress.com

Second day back at work for the year. I could have the post holiday blues, and on some level I guess I do. However, I am extremely blessed to have a job that I actually love doing. With the confidence and enthusiasm of Rachael Weiss' character Evelyn in the Mummy, "I... am a Cardiac Technologist!" Now, I can see the blank stares on the screen and don't worry, I get that blank stare reaction from most people. Especially if you've never seen The Mummy before. A cardiac technologist is basically a heart scientist, using technologically. To put it simply. One of the best things about it is while is a highly specific field of work, there is a lot to it and no two days are spent doing the same thing. We get to do ECGs or electrocardiograms, kind of like what's pictured to see the rhythm of the heart, stress tests to test the heart during exercise, holter monitors to read a persons heart rate an rhythm over a day or two, test implantable pacemakers and defibrillators, and electrophysiology studies, trying to find and get rid of people's irregular heart beats. Of course, that's a simple way of explaining what we do whilst trying not to be patronising and don't worry, I'm sure if someone tried to explain accountancy or engineering I'd find it hard to understand! That's the great thing about people, we all have different strengths in different areas. I have just been so fortunate to have found mine in my work. The best part about my job is the patient interaction. You have the chance to talk to them, try to make them feel comfortable, listen to them, answer questions to help them understand. For me in particular, having gone through a similar situation and having a pacemaker of my own helps me to relate to patients on a different level too. I am so thankful and blessed to be able to do what I do, to be in an industry that patient orientated whilst always advancing technically. How many people can say that!?

No comments:

Post a Comment