Thursday 16 April 2015

Day 217...

WEDNESDAY 8.4.15 - I am thankful for... Variation in my job


I can't remember if I've mentioned it before, but I am a Cardiac Technologist, which basically means a heart scientist. I am able to perform a multitude of tests on patients including ECG's, holter monitors, Exercise stress tests, check pacemakers and defibrillators as well as electrophysiology studies, where we test to see if people have abnormal heart rhythms. It is varied and highly specific. I love it! I get to do something different everyday and see different patients everyday, some I have built a rapport with as they have been attending our clinics for a number of years. This type of career is something you may or may not have heard of before. It's not your typical job you go to uni to study for like a doctor or lawyer or teacher, and it's not a trade you'd do an apprenticeship for like a labourer. In fact, most people I have spoken to about it have entered into this field by word of mouth, that's how it happened for me anyway! A friend of mine from uni became a cardiac scientist (in QLD we are scientists, in NSW we are technologists - same thing). I was struggling to find what I wanted to do with my life and, knowing I'd had heart issues of my own, she suggested I look into this because she thought Id be interested. She was right and the rest is history! I am extremely thankful to be in a job that I like to wake up in the morning for. I am thankful I have a good team to work with and that I am able to communicate with the patients. I am thankful that everyday is different and very rarely boring. I know not everyone has a job they love, or even like, so I'm very fortunate from that perspective. I think if I ever lose interest in my job it'll be time to change, though I hope that doesn't happen. Not too soon anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment