Wednesday 4 March 2015

Day 181...

TUESDAY 03.03.15 - I am thankful for... Sign Language


*Picture from www.kbc.co.ke

I was walking back to work from the shops during my lunch break today when I noticed an older couple signing to each other. They were both wearing hearing aides so I concluded they both had some degree of hearing impairment. I paused and watched them for a moment as they engaged in a conversation not unlike two people with perfect hearing. I couldn't help but think how amazing sign language is. What's even more amazing is that people have used forms of sign language for so long, with earliest records dating bat to fifth century BC! For someone like me who has all senses working, I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to be deaf or even hearing impaired. So I have the utmost respect for those who use it. I am therefore thankful for people's ability to use sign language to communicate and wish I could do it myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment