Sunday 30 November 2014

Day 86...

FRIDAY 28.11.14 - I am thankful for... Youth booklets


*Real booklets but names are not visible to protect identity of the kids

Each youth member gets an empty booklet at the start of each term to write it. They are allowed to write down anything; something we ask them to, notes about the devotions we did that night, or questions for the leaders. We, the leaders, then take the booklets home with us and if there is anything they want answered or commented on we can do that for them. This has proven to be very effective. I know at least from the girls' perspective (ladies collect girls books, men collect boys books) I have had some pretty personal and serious questions asked and it's nice for me to know that they knew they have someone to talk to besides parents and friends. Teenage years can be difficult. I know, I've been there before, as most of you reading this. If you ask a teenager straight out "What's wrong?" or "what's on your mind?" more often then not they'll just shrug and say "nothing". Literally. They feel embarrassed and not willing to share something upfront. But this way is a little more private and they can feel comfortable and not embarrassed. Therefore I am thankful for these booklets as a method of communicating effectively with the teens at our youth group, so I might be a positive and non-judgmental influence in their lives. I hope that's how they see me anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment