Tuesday 11 November 2014

Day 68...

MONDAY 10.11.14 - I am thankful for... Failures


Making my dinner and lunch for tomorrow I decided to make couscous, but do it the 'lazy man's' way; putting hot water and couscous in a bowl and cover it to soak it up. However, I didn't measure anything and was busy doing something else, forgot about it for a while and when I returned, the end result is what you see in the picture. Mush. Gooey, sloppy mush. To top it off I ran out of couscous so I couldn't even save it by adding more to soak up the excess water. Big. Fat. Couscous. FAIL. Oh well. I was a little annoyed because I was looking forward to what I was making too. But what was done was done. It got me thinking too, how many little failures do we encounter in life, and what do they say to us. This particular instance has taught me not to do it that way again, but stick to the way I usually cook it! You might think that I'm ridiculous, that being thankful for failure is stupid, perhaps impossible. But when you think about it, every failure teaches us something; what we might need to change, how to improve, how to become stronger whether it be mentally or physically, what works and what doesn't. When you have failed and you feel miserable or maybe even worthless, it's hard to find perspective to see that it isn't the end of the world, that you just have to try something else. If I've learned anything in my lifetime, especially from my wonderfully wise mother who tried to teach me this numerous times, it's that you can't dwell on your failures. Even the best and brightest in this world fail from time to time, it's what makes us human. You just have to pick yourself up and move on and find a way. Failure also helps us to appreciate the good times, the things we do right. And just maybe success is made all the more sweeter through failure, because you get to see the person you were beforehand and what you have achieved in the process to where you are now. Incredibly rewarding.


No comments:

Post a Comment