Sunday 15 February 2015

Day 157...

SATURDAY 07.02.15 - I am thankful for... My immune system



*Picture from www.healingthebody.ca

Anyone who knows me knows that this might be an unusual thing to be thankful for. Why? Because my immune system is probably lower and less active than the average person. I have a blood condition called Neutropenia, a lack of white blood cells in my blood called neutrophils that help fight infection. This leaves me more susceptible to bacterial, fungal and viral infections than the average person. I do get sick and run down quite a bit, and today was one of those days. I was fine this morning, went to my Saturday Zumba class, came home, went for a reflexology session (soooo relaxing!) but got home and felt so sick, for some unknown reason, that I just had to go to bed. In bed at 6pm on a Saturday night when I was supposed to be hanging out with my boyfriend? NOT OK! I slept for a few hours and woke up at 9pm and still unwell, forced myself out of bed to have a shower. So why am I thankful for my immune system which clearly doesn't work as it should? Whilst I was humphing and feeling sorry for myself I was reminded of those people who are even less fortunate than I. Those that have next to no immune system do to immunosuppressants from organ transplant, those undergoing chemotherapy for cancer. Those with more life threatening conditions than I have. I may get sick a lot, but they are mostly just colds and flues that eventually pass. They don't leave me with significantly less quality of life. I have been fortunate in my life that the more serious illnesses I have had have been able to be 'fixed' or 'cured' with little to no change in my quality of life. So as I go to bed, feeling sick for the millionth time, I am thankful that my immune system will eventually fight this sickness and I will get better, it may just take a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment