Saturday 9 May 2015

Day 240... It gets easier the more days you do it :)

FRIDAY 01.05.15 - I am thankful for... The ability to hold my tongue



*Picture from www.corcodilos.com

I'll start off by saying I'm very proud of my job and work very hard to do the best job possible. When we are doing EP procedures sometimes they take a little longer than we'd like, but that it is the nature of what we do. Today we had a very full on case, not that it was terribly 'difficult', but a case that required several different pieces of equipment and a significant amount of time to set up. Because of this we had extra hospital staff that worked with us that don't usually. I'm being vague on purpose as I don't want to name and shame anybody, nor disclose facts about the patient for confidentiality reasons. Besides it's not the purpose of my topic today. One particular staff member was, shall we say, a little less enthusiastic about what we were doing than the rest of us. To be fair, what we do is not everybody's cup of tea, and this person may well have just been bored by the process. Fair enough. However, what really got to me were the negative, non-constructive comments about how we perform our duties in the case they were throwing about, even thought they weren't directed at me personally. I believe "amateur hour" was one such comment. I very strongly believe you should not criticise how someone does their job, especially if your job title and duties are completely different. This person had very little idea or understanding about the intricacies of the case but felt justified enough to say such things. It made me extremely uncomfortable and I'll admit, quite angry. How dare they come into OUR workspace and judge us on how we do our job when they clearly don't do the same thing we do! I'm sure some of you reading this have probably had similar occurrences at work and felt similarly to what I did. It would have been easy to just blow up in this persons face and call them out on it, however that's extremely unprofessional and doesn't achieve anything useful. I am very thankful today I was able to just "breathe it out" and not a say a word. I was not rude to this person but because of how I was feeling did not go out of my way to converse with them in case I said something I regretted. I just focused on my job and duties. It's very sad on that person's part to to negatively comment about people. No good can come of it and I feel almost sorry for them. Almost. I am glad I was able to bite my tongue today. Hopefully I won't have to worry about doing so in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment